Maintaining an active blog is essential in improving your site’s Search Engine Optimization (aka ranking high on a Google search.) What do blog posts have to do with SEO? Just about everything. Here at Reach Beyond Marketing, we’d like to share some of our key tips for writing blogs to help improve your SEO:
- Create fresh content. Search engines prefer fresh, new content over repurposed and reworded content. Creating at least one new post per week is the first step in improving your SEO rankings through your blogs.
- Optimizing keyword usage. A common misconception in SEO is that you must maximize the number of unique keywords within your content. However, you really want to choose keywords that are commonly searched and will lead users to your site. Focus less on placement, and more on providing answers to user’s potential questions.
- Location matters. When using keywords in blogs, they need to be paired with a “geo-locator.” A geo-locator is what you can probably guess: the town, city or county where the business is located. If you’re business is in Boston and you’re writing a blog on liposuction, you will want to sprinkle the phrase “liposuction in Boston” and “Boston liposuction” throughout the blog, increasing the chance that someone who is searching one of those phrases in Google will find your blog (which will mean they find your website and everything they need to schedule a consultation).
- Share your blogs. The greater the number of clicks on your blog, the higher your rankings in future searches. With unique content, frequent sharing and searchable keywords, your blog will be found much easier. So share on your website and all social media platforms – get those blogs out there.
- Use images and video. Take advantage of the alt-text capabilities to name your photos and videos with related keywords to improve and increase your search engine results. This text can be used to describe what is in the image is representing (the service or product) as well as the location and name of the business.
Keeping up with your business’ blog – crafting new content, using proper keywords, geo-locators, and graphics – can do wonders for your business search engine results!